Tuesday 31 July 2007

R-E-S-P-E-C-T in the B-E-C

I've just arrived home from my second day of classroom BEC training and even though technically I'm supposed to remain a passive onlooker for the next fortnight, somehow I've landed the gig of planning and teaching the next class!

Okay. Pause. Rewind.


If you've just started reading this blog, you may not be aware that I'm currently learning the ropes as a Baha'i Education Class (BEC) teacher and have just started the class-room observation stint of my training with my Baha’i sisters Cora and Fariba as facilitators. So far it's been pretty straightforward. As far as I can see, the kids are gorgeous, lessons follow a simple routine structure and the students thrive under the consistency. Here's a breakdown of a typical BEC:

First, students enter and get settled down by selecting a star sticker, their gift upon arrival. Then they sit down at their tables, get organised, colour their folders or catch up with friends. After about 10 minutes, when everyone has the playground out of their system, we ring a bell - less Pavlov, more Buddhist - signifying that it's time for Devotions.

What does this look like in a Baha'i class? Well, we all form a big circle on the floor and start by singing songs based on Baha’i Scripture or principles. Then we share prayers from Christian, Buddhist, Indigenous, Hindu, Jewish, Baha'i, Muslim and other Holy Writings. I can't tell you how sweet it is to see a 5 year old earnestly dedicate a Native American prayer to the Great Earth Spirit, a 7 year old affirm the Hindu concept that God is "my Father and my Mother," and an 11 year old honour Christ by reciting the Golden Rule. Though the songs and the prayers vary every week, each class starts in this way, reflecting the Baha'i concept of fostering harmony among the World's religions:

“The religion of God is for love and unity; make it not the cause of enmity or dissention.” - Tablets of Baha’u’llah Revealed after the Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 220

Then we have activities. Today for example, saw the kids writing their own prayers to God. They ranged from heart-warming: "Thank you God, for keeping my family safe." to heart-felt: "God, please help me to be a better person.” to heart-burn: "Dear God, please give me a Play Station 3." Hmmm - they are kids after all. (Actually, it got my cogs turning about the deification of Santa Claus...and the Santa-fication of God...but that post can wait until December!)


The point is, in terms of structure, BEC couldn't be more simple.

Anyway, when the children had left this morning and we were packing up, Cora and Fariba started discussing next week’s lesson. They had planned to introduce the virtue of ‘respect’ and were bouncing around ideas of how to go about it. Broadly speaking, our job as Baha'i Educators is to encourage children to manifest and develop their innate spiritual qualities, or 'virtues.'


And that’s when I decided to go and open my big mouth:

“Hey, maybe we should play the song for them.”
The two women looked at me, question marks for pupils.
"You know. Respect. By Aretha Franklin?"
Continued blank stares.
"Ummm, The Blues Brothers? Soul music? Sock it to me...?"
They shrugged their shoulders.

In the hope of jogging their memories, I even belted out a few bars - as best a skinny white girl can. Now, these women may be in their 40's and sure, they were born in the Phillipines and Iran respectively, but I'd assumed Aretha crossed every cultural divide. Evidently not. That'll learn me for assuming.

“Well anyway, I'm positive the kids would know it. And love it; they'd be dancing in their seats. Hey, maybe they could even make up a dance...we could put them into groups... mixed ages... mixed genders....yeah...that'd teach them about respect... "

I was just thinking out loud. Talking to myself, really. But when I looked up, Cora had this wicked glint in her eye.

"Per-earl*...?" she cooed, (*not my real name) "How would you feel about taking the next class?"
That shut me up. “Me? Take the class? Really? I mean…are you sure?”
She nodded vigorously. I looked to Fariba for help. She was beaming in agreement. The traitor.

So, after some consultation about structure and a brief look at
The Virtues Project Educator’s Guide, (an amazing resource written by fellow Baha'i, Linda Kavelin Popov) I acquiesced.

Okay, if I'm totally honest, they didn't have to twist my arm that much.

Next week, I take my first, very premature BEC lesson. The moral education of precious, priceless children. Future caretakers of the planet. It's definitely a mission from God – Jake and Elwood style.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a lesson to plan!

No comments: